Noticed iron level 7. Had knee replacement. Feet swollen. Taking water pill. Help?

I am 73 and I go once a week for infusion of iron, my iron level was 7 and now is 18 after two months of treatment.
my blood level count I was getting a shot once a week before the Iron infusion. now my blood level went down again and will start shots again next week. I had a knee replacement last year and I still can hardly walk. I still work but have to crawl upstairs to get to my apt.
the doctor I see says I must be bleeding, but I went to my other doctor and he said I am not bleeding inside.
do you have any idea what is wrong. My feet swell very bad and I take a water pill once a day 25mg. does not help.
Posted Sun, 8 Sep 2013 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar 56 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Need the lab values to help you better

Detailed Answer:

It would be better if you can give me MCV (mean corpuscular volume) and MCH (Mean corpuscular Hemoglobin) values before and after treatment. If not at least what is your Hemoglobin before and after? Are you breathless during work or at night? What are the various medicine names that you take?

I presume the numbers of Iron level are Serum Ferritin. It was 7 and now 18ng/dl after Iron infusions. Is it? If yes then the Iron is improving. I would not be able to comment on bleeding in the body. If you take Aspirin and Clopidogrel (generally prescribed for such cases) then you may be.

However you are still anemic, the foot swelling could be anemia and water pill does not help for all feet swellings. You are unable to sleep because of breathless as the fluid should be piling up.

I'd suggest you should go to the doctor and ask about blood/packed cell transfusion if the Hemoglobin is lesser than 7gm/dl.

Hope this gives you a direction.