Noticed intermediate bleeding. Having slight nausea, tiredness and bloating stomach. Prescribed antibiotics. Pregnant?

Infertility Specialist
Hi doctor! Here's a questions about my unusual period. My last regular one was from 21st to 25th April. I have been having 5 hpt (most recent one this morning) and 2 hcg blood tests these 2 weeks, all came negative. A much lighter period was from 23rd to 29th May (except Day 1 was regularly heavy). During this light period, it was a few drops of red blood with dark clots every 2 hours interval when i went to washroom and check. This light period was then followed by 1.5 days of clear (or a really insignificant light brown) discharge, which was between water? and mucus like (or not as thick as my usual mucus discharge during ovulation).

I have also had symptoms like slight nausea, tiredness and bloating stomach these 2 weeks. Despite my prescribed medication of antibiotics, which was finished last Wednesday, the symptoms are still there. Would the period and these symptoms indicate any possibility of pregnancy or just my over-stress about the coincidence? AND How much would you see there is still a possibly pregnancy? Or is this totally normal?
Posted Wed, 19 Jun 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Mahesh Koregol 2 hours later

I read your query and understand your concerns.

Following is my reply:

1) These symptoms are not related to pregnancy alone. There might be many other reasons to have these symptoms. You dont have to worry about pregnancy possibility if hCG values are negative.

2) The variation in cycle may be due to stress or variation in lifestyle. Hence I Suggest you dont worry about it and wait for a week by which time the spotting would stop.

Please get back to me if the spotting does not stop, after which I shall tell further advice.

Dr. Mahesh Koregol
Follow-up: Noticed intermediate bleeding. Having slight nausea, tiredness and bloating stomach. Prescribed antibiotics. Pregnant? 7 minutes later
Hi doctor

Just one thing to clarify: does it matter if I just got heavier flow on Day 1 NIGHT but other times were just a few drops every 2-3 hours I checked?

By the way, my 'spotting' has already stopped today and so as the discharge that I have mentioned after the unusual period. However, the symptoms are still here, maybe a little bit more fluctuating when I scared myself out. Is there any conclusion you can make regarding to my updated info?

Answered by Dr. Mahesh Koregol 5 hours later
Hi, its normal cycle what you experienced. Endometrium is shed during menstrual cycle. It was shed completely in a single day on heavy day 1 bleeding. Hence no much bleeding in next few days . It is same as in shedding of endometrium slowly over 3 to 4 days. Hence it is your regular menstrual cycle. Dont worry about it. Othrr symptoms are not related to pregnancy. Take rest for few days and you will be fine. I hope your doubt is cleared now. Regards, Dr. Mahesh Koregol