Noticed increase in lexapro. Observed swelling in ankles and feet. Side effect of medication?

7 days ago my lexapro was increased from 10mg to 20 per day -- I noticed on day 6 that my feet and ankles have become abnormally swollen...I could hardly get my loafers on, which hadn't been an issue in the past -- I have also started taking B1 the past 4 days -- my question is, is the lexapro increase and swelling a temporary side effect or should I score my 20's to 10mg?
Posted Tue, 23 Jul 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Omer 1 hour later

I am Dr.omer and I am here to help you with your query.

As you have said that you are taking lexapro ( escitalopram ) , now having swollen feet .

Escitalopram does NOT cause Peripheral edema( water retention) directly in feet due to valve leakage of your leg vessels known as "venous insuffieciency".

As you have said that you are using alcohol for a long time , escitalopram may cause derrangement in liver enzymes , which ultimately affect heart and kidneys.

Liver damage ( increase in liver enzymes) because of escitalopram is seen in less than 3% of the patients which inturn causes water retention in your feet.

Increasing the dose from 10 mg- 20 mg , can cause your feet to swell , due to liver damage leading to heart and kidney problems , as all organs are interconnected.

I would recommend that you should consult your psychiatrist , so that he can refer to internist who can do your ECHO for heart , kidney function test and liver function test.

Your psychiatrist has to stop the escitalopram , till the above tests arrive.

Vitamin B1 , has no role in reducing your feet edema.

Hope this helps your query

Feel free to ask any further questions