Noticed increase in belly fat and weight gain. Suggest diet plan

Hello Doctor,
Lately I have noticed my belly fat increasing along with marginal weight gain. can you help me out with suggestion on do's/dont's on my eating habits that could aggrevate the problem.
Posted Fri, 1 Feb 2013 in Weight & Lifestyle
Answered by Dr. Akhilesh Dubey 41 minutes later

Thanks for sharing your concern,

Increase in belly fat or central obesity is one of the important health risks; it is good that you are aware of this.

Ideal Weight depends on your height and waist circumference and is independent risk factor; if waist to hip ratio if >1 is for males it is high time you should take care of this.

Please let me know your height and weight also your eating habits so that I can guide you better.

In general a balanced, low-calorie diet is recommended for gradual weight loss. Vitamins, minerals and unsaturated fatty acids have to be added to the basic protein-carbohydrate diet.

Mild obesity can be treated with low-calorie diet and increase in exercises. Moderate exercises like walking reduces 5 Kcal/min, while in a little more strenuous exercise 7-10 Kcal/min is utilized. Therefore do follow exercise regularly in the aim to maintain negative balance of around 7500 Kcal which is required to lose a kilogram of weight.

Both diet therapy and exercise have to be continued for long periods to maintain reduced weight.
Initially you can reduce fried items, sugar, and increase fresh fruits and XXXXXXX vegetables in diet and start regular exercise may to begin with only walking at brisk pace for 3-4 km/day.

Hope this information should help you, if you have any further query please ask, I will be happy to help.
Dr. Akhilesh Dubey M.D.
Follow-up: Noticed increase in belly fat and weight gain. Suggest diet plan 1 hour later
Hello Doctor,

Thanks a lot for the response.

I weigh 88 Kgs and I am 5'11'' tall. Also I see from your response about the benefits of walking in maintaining the weight. However will brisk walking also take care of belly fat or should that be controlled by some specific work-outs?

With regard to my eating habits, I am a strict vegetarian and I do indulge in high fat food habits once in a week (either while eating out on pizzas/high ghee items or feasting on chocolates). Also please advise on the good/bad effects of eating varieties of nuts (peanuts/cashew/pista/badam).

regards, XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Akhilesh Dubey 1 hour later

Thanks for your input. The following are my comments:

1. Your ideal weight should be below 81 kg as per your height. You seem to be overweight medically with BMI standing at 27. It should be < 25.

2. I am glad that you are vegetarian and taking care of diet, but you need restrict more - like reduce fat intake, chocolates and pizza to once month at least.
- You should plan to take 1600 K cal/day diet in 3 to 4 times like breakfast, lunch and dinner.
- Take nuts like walnut and almonds which are good source of omega 3 fatty acids but keep them to limited quantity. Take lot of fresh fruits and vegetable good quantity of water avoid alcohol if you take.

3. Increase your exercise; you can even join Gym and do cardio exercises like tread mill and cross training with some cycling.
Then some weight training and exercises of different group of muscles and abdominal muscle exercise will ultimately make you fit and near ideal weight.

4. Please set up small goal and achieve them in step wise; so as to reach ultimate goal of great look and good health.

Hope I have answered your query, if there is anything please ask otherwise kindly accept my answer and close this discussion.

Dr. Akhilesh Dubey M.D.