Noticed hives on leg. Took benadryl. Now red, watery and swollen eye. Medical cure?

I broke out yesterday morning with hives on both sides of my upper legs. I took Benadryl and slowly hive disappeared. I awoke this morning to have very few hives on lower legs, but my right eye is nearly swollen shut, red & watery.
Posted Mon, 22 Apr 2013 in Infections
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 1 hour later
Hi, thanks for using healthcare magic

Swelling of the eye (periorbital edema) can occur due to infection or as a result of an allergy.
It is important to distinguish the two because of the potential complications of an untreated infection.

In your case with a history of previous allergy ,it is more likely that it is part of your allergic response but it would be better to have your eyes checked to be sure.
In an allergy there is usually normal vision and you should be able to move your eye normally. In addition, the eye may feel itchy and there should be no fever.

In infection- the symptoms come on slowly, there is usually a fever, visual disturbance and problems moving the eye, it can also affect only one eye whereas an allergy tends to affect both eyes.

Because only one eye is affected, it raises the slight possibility of infection which would require antibiotics.
IF it were bilateral and less likely to be an infection then you could consider using another dose of the antihistamine along with allergy eye drops.

It would best to be assessed to rule infection before empirically treating as an allergy.

I hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions