Noticed high pitched loud nasal wheezing at night. Having stuffy nose, sporadic mild coughing and use nasal spray. Guide?

I am 68, healthy male. About 2 month ago the first symptom I noticed was a high pitched loud nasal wheezing at night disrupting sleep. I soon realized the wheezing was also coming from my lungs. Now the symptoms are a mild deep congestion that is very obvious when intentionally over exhaling,
When I intentionally cough deeply I taste an unusual metallic flavor in my mouth, can this help identify a more specific problem?
Current condition, Stuffy nose, sporadic mild coughing. Wheezing comes and goes, using nasal sprays to help control. No problem breathing, can take a deep breath. no other symptoms, no runny nose, no sore throat, no itchy eyes, no headachs, no major lack of energy.
Never had allergies before, Do not smoke cigarettes. Being around smoking seems to iritate lungs much worst than I have ever noticed in the past.
Looking for some insight, please advise. XXXXXXX J
Posted Tue, 25 Jun 2013 in Lung and Chest disorders
Answered by Dr. Jorge Brenes-Salazar 1 hour later

Thanks for your heealth concern. In little children, they tell us that all that wheezes is asthma, but in adults, we have to think differently, because new onset asthma late in adulthood is quite rare; thus I believe the prudent course of action is being seen by a provider who can perform a through cardiopulmonary examination and determine which imaging modality may be needed (eg. Chest x XXXXXXX or CT scan) and if pulmonary fucntion tests are in order. There are many causes of wheezing in adults: allergic reactions, COPD and bronchitis, non-infectious pneumonitis, heart failure, foreign bodies, bronchial tumors amongst others.

Hope that brings some initial insights XXXXXXX wish you the best

Dr Brenes-Salazar MD
Mayo Clinic MN