Noticed high blood pressure. Suggest some diet plan and exercise

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Nov 2013
Nov 2013
Excellent

Neurologist
Question
Hi Doc,
My age is 27.And I weigh around 80 kilos, height of 5'8'' and into regular exercises and jogging.Recently i got my BP measured(thrice) and it gave as 150/100 which is alarmingly high.

Can you please suggest what sort of diet and regular exercise regime I should follow.

Thanks
Posted Thu, 25 Oct 2012 in General Health

Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 5 hours later
Thank you for contacting Healthcare magic.
Your BP is definitely on the higher side. It may need to be high on a few more occasions over 1-2 weeks to label you as hypertensive.
In addition, the weight is also on the higher side.
Regarding diet, you should have a normal salt diet and avoid any food containing extra salt. This includes pickles, chhat items, packed or processed foods, etc.
In addition, fatty or oily foods should be avoided. This includes fried food and red meat.
Fish intake is beneficial. But avoid prawns.
Eating more salads and greens including sprouts are also helpful.
High BP poses a risk for heart attacks and brain strokes. So, regular exercises are useful in addition to dietary modifications.
Helpful exercises are jogging, swimming, cycling, running on a treadmill, etc. It should be done for 20-30 minutes a day for at least five days a week.
I hope it helps. Please get back if you have any more queries.
Best wishes,
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM

Follow-up: Noticed high blood pressure. Suggest some diet plan and exercise 1 hour later
Also Can you please suggest if light weight exercise is feasible.Lifting weights as such as I used to do it on a regular basis.(weights upto 10 kg max)?

Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 52 minutes later
Thank you for getting back.
You can continue to do light weight lifting exercises as usual.
Regarding any exercise, you should do it within reasonable limits of stamina. For ex- it is good to get sweating and increased heart rate after exercises, however, one should not feel exhausted and tired. Exercise should leave one fresh and it should be done on a regular basis for maximum benefits.
Best. Wishes,
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM

Follow-up: Noticed high blood pressure. Suggest some diet plan and exercise 5 minutes later
Hi Dr XXXXXXX

Sorry one last question can you please suggest any center where I can undergo lipid profile test and other related tests as I suspect that bad cholestrol count is high,as my mother has been tested high on the same.

I stay in JP nagar,Please suggest something nearby to undergo the tests and follow up on the same.

Also egg white is advisable to eat under these situtations??

XXXXXXX

Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 6 minutes later
You can do the test in any standard lab which is NABL accredited (an Indian standard something similar to ISI). You can enquire about the same from the lab that you choose.
You can eat egg white.
Best wishes,
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM