Noticed high arched palate after delivery. Could it be due to sucking thumb? Any risk for heart condition?

I am 54 years old, white female, a Registered Nurse, and I have a high arched palate. It never bothered me until now. I never new that my palate was abnormal until I became a Labor and Delivery nurse and upon exam on newborns (checking for intact or cleft palates on babies) I realized that my palate was shaped differently. I was a thumb sucker until I was 8 years old. Could that have anything to do with it? I am 5' 8" tall, and have given birth 4 times, so I don't have Turners Syndrome, I don't think I have any genetic defects at all. I also do not have any characteristics of Marfans Syndrome, other than being on the tall side. I am of Dutch descent, and my whole family is tall. I had surgery when I was 41 and had an EKG before the procedure, which was normal. So I guess my questions are: Could I have caused my palate to become arched by sucking my thumb so long, and am I at risk for any heart conditions or any other serious genetic medical complications because of my palate?
Posted Sun, 5 Aug 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Shanthi.E 2 hours later

Your thumb sucking may have caused the high arched palate, but there are no proven clinical studies on association of high arched palate with thumb sucking.

I do not think you are at risk for any heart conditions or any other serious genetic medical complications as you have been healthy all this while.

High arched palate is a very minor anomaly that can occur in isolation too without any associated systemic symptoms.

Any genetic predisposition due to high arched palate would have manifested earlier in life like Turner's or Marfan's syndrome.

I do not think you should worry about these now.

You seem to be in good health now and I wish you continue like this.

Please do write back for further queries on this.