Noticed hard turbular lump in mouth. CT report clear. Suggested like submandibular gland. No pain. Worried?

Hi I recently noticed aa hard turbular lump on the floor of my mouth. as the floor of the mouth is in a u- shape it is to the left of my mouth. it starts under my front teeth, right there there is quite a hard long lump and beside that running along the side of my mouth yet on the floor of my mouth is a long lump its not as hard as the one to the front. this lump is not visible but can be fel. I went to an oral surgeon and he sent me for a ct, the ct report said all was clear. He said he felt my submandibular gland was lazy and to chew gum. ive tried this and it makes no difference. the lump is not painful at all. even though my ct scan is clear I am still worried. Could you possibly shed any light on this. I f the scan is clear do you think there is anything sinister to worry about?
Posted Mon, 24 Jun 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 1 hour later
There are a few possibilities for these symptoms which need to be ruled out and these include:

1) It can be a swollen lymph node like a submandibular lymph node which has swollen in response to nasal and sinus infections.

2) Second possibility is of salivary gland swelling like sublingual gland infection or blockage which lies beneath the mucous membrane of the floor of the mouth. The sublingual and submaxillary (also called the submandibular) glands empty into the mouth through ducts under the tongue.

Swelling of these glands due to blockage of these ducts leads to interference of production and drainage of saliva and pain and irritation. It may be due to some obstruction like stone or tumor, inflammation and infection.

3) Third possibility is of any cyst or benign skin growth.
Since the CT scan is normal, there is nothing to worry. This is likely to be a fluid filled benign swelling.
You can get certain investigations like blood count, sialography, sialendoscopy and ultrasound of the area to confirm the diagnosis.
Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.