Noticed hard and swollen area after hernia operation. Is this normal?

Gastroenterologist, Surgical
I was operated on Nov 1st for Hernia on both the sides, I'm seeing it's very hard and swollen near the operated area. Is it normal? if yes how long this will be? Anything can be done to reduce it? Like placing ICE pack?
Posted Fri, 7 Dec 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Ajit Naniksingh Kukreja 38 minutes later

Thanks for writing in

Usually during hernia surgery there is a mesh which is fixed in between the layers and non absorbable sutures are used.

These together cause adequate fibrosis which makes the area feel harder

If the skin above it is normal and not red and if you do not have pain need not worry, it will reduce in six weeks from surgery

No extra treatment needed
Hope this helps

Do not hesitate to write back in case of concern
Wishing you a healthy life ahead