Noticed hair thinning. Blood work fine. What can be done?

M y hair has been getting thin for the past two years, no one in my family has thin hair, my mom had beautiful hair until she passed away, and I have a sister that keeps going to a beauty polar to get her hair thinned out because it is so thick. What could it be.I went to a dermatologist and they said there was nothing wrong, my blood work came back fine.
Posted Sun, 29 Sep 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Kalpana Pathak 55 minutes later
Brief Answer:
It could be androgenetic alopecia

Detailed Answer:
You could be having androgenetic alopecia.
Androgentic alopecia or female patterned baldness is gradually progressive baldness leading to miniaturisation or thinning of hair along with reduced hair density. As the age progresses, such hair changes are common. So it could be an age related thing in your case and that is why your doc said its nothing.However if its too severe and prominent one should seek treatment.
It is not necessary that if parents or siblings have good hair, one would inherit the same hair quality.
Sometimes any chronic illness, inadequate nutrition, stress, salon procedures or hair colors too harm the hair.
To have good hair at this age, it is suggested that
Exercise daily.
Take a good well balanced nutritious diet XXXXXXX in protein, vitamins and minerals. Increase intake of soy products, eggs, lean meats,fish, lentils, sprouts, salads, green leafy vegetables, fruits and nuts in your diet.
Oil your hair once a week
Use a good shampoo and conditioner suitable to your type
Avoid hair colors, salon chemical procedures like perming, straightening etc.
If possible take hair supplements XXXXXXX in copper, iron, selenium,biotin, calcium pantothenate, proteins etc.
You may also apply minoxidil 2 percent solution twice daily. However at this age the response to therapy might be suboptimal.
Also rule out any local hair pathology like dandruff, boils, psoriasis etc. Similarly thyroid disorder, anaemia ,vitamin D deficiency also affects the hair. So such disorders should also be treated with medicines.

Hope this helped. Should there be any other query, please write back.
Follow-up: Noticed hair thinning. Blood work fine. What can be done? 23 hours later
Thank you again for your answer, it sucks to get old, LOL.
Answered by Dr. Kalpana Pathak 13 hours later
Brief Answer:
Improve your diet and exercise daily

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for writing back.
At this age, I would just advise to have a nutritious diet and exercise daily to maintain over all health of your body.

Dr Kalpana