Noticed grey hair with circle black lines coming out. Could this be due to ring worm?

I took a picture and got the back of myex bf head- I have never noticed this before- he has gray hair- it is a circle- black with lines coming out from-it it is almost spider like or a tatoo- or posibly ringworm--is there any way I could text a pic can I email u a pic
Posted Wed, 8 Jan 2014 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Kalpana Pathak 11 minutes later
Brief Answer: details below Detailed Answer: Hi, Thanks for writing to us. You may send us good quality images by clicking on the upload report/image icon which is on the right side of query page. You may also send the images at YYYY@YYYY . Also please mention ATTN Dr kalpana Pathak in the subject line. The description provided is just not enough to reach a particular diagnosis Hoping to hear from you soon. Take care
Follow-up: Noticed grey hair with circle black lines coming out. Could this be due to ring worm? 2 days later
Image uploaded.
Answered by Dr. Kalpana Pathak 5 hours later
Brief Answer: details below Detailed Answer: Hi, Thanks for writing to us. I have seen the image attached and I can appreciate a localised area of hair loss. Such hair loss could be seen in alopecia areata and also in ringworm or tinea capitis. Alopecia areata is characterised by a well defined oval or coin shaped patches of hair loss. Ring worm infection of scalp can cause slight scaling of scalp along with small broken hair that are seen as black dots. Also the hair in affected area can be pulled out easily. A dermatologist can easily differentiate between the two by clinically examining the area. If its alopecia areata, topical steroids would help. If its ringworm, oral and topical antifungal would be required. In my clinical practice I usually treat alopecia areata by topical and intralesional steroids. In cases of fungal infection either I prescribe oral fluconazole 150 mg weekly or oral terbinafine 250 mg daily along with a topical antifungal like clotrimazole. Another cause could be pressure alopecia where when a person is immobilised for long, the area of continuous friction develops a bald patch. So it is seen in patients who are bed ridden since long or Have been in ICU for long. The spider like pattern that has formed due to hair loss is incidental and is not typical or characteristic of any type of hair loss. I would advise that you meet a dermatologist nearby, so that the area of hair fall can be examined and a definite diagnosis can be made. Hope this helped you. Take care