Noticed flat warts. Hands dry, crack and bleed. How to get rid of this?

Dermatologist
Question
I believe I have flat warts. I noticed them first abt 20 yrs ago. Just one. Teeny tiny on my pinky finger on the ring finger side. Then I noticed a few over the years on my hands fingers. Some of them seem to have gone away. But always new ones crop up. They're usually teeny teeny tiny. I have one however that has been on my ring finger for at least 15 years. It was small and I tried to treat it with compound w I think. It did come off and left a pit in my finger that filled back in with another 3x the size of the original. Freaked me out so I went to a dermatologist who froze it. It did come off but came back right away 3x bigger yet. I decided to leave it alone treating it only made it bigger. But I continued to develop more teeny tiny on both hands. I don't think anyone else can easily see then as they are skin colored most of them tiny and none of then cauliflower like. A couple of days ago I took off my ring and to my horror discovered I had one under my ring that looks the same as the rest but is nearly 1/4 inch across. Had no idea! You should know I have ocd about cleanliness and wash my hands and arms about 3x an hour and use antibacterial hand wipes all day between hand washings. My hands are always dry, they crack and bleed. I'm guessing the warts spread as the virus gets in those tiny cracks. I'm afraid in going to get warts all over my face and body from my hands as I wash my face apply makeup and shave. My hands are so dry and I want to put lotion on them but I'm afraid I'll spread the warts even more because I'd have to touch them as I do that and spread the lotion all over my hands and arms. Should I avoid lotion? How can I get rid of these things?
Posted Mon, 10 Jun 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails

Answered by Dr. Kalpana Pathak 29 minutes later
Hi XXXXXX,
I could think of few possibilities in your case
Flat or plain wart
Pompholyx( characterised by itchy deep seated fluid filled lesions)
Any other type of hand eczema

I would like to know if the lesions are itchy
If the lesions are transient( they appear and then disappear)
Also attach an image of the concerned area as its really difficult reaching a proper diagnosis without seeing the lesion.

Hoping to hear from you soon.

Follow-up: Noticed flat warts. Hands dry, crack and bleed. How to get rid of this? 15 hours later
I don't seem to have the option on here of attaching pictures though I've taken some. Is there an email address I can send them to? I looked at pictures of Pompholyx. What I have doesn't appear fluid filled, they've never leaked fluid. They never pop. They stick around for years. Only the tiniest ones seem to go away eventually. The one on my upper ring finger has been there 15-20 years. I don't know how long the one at the base of my ring finger has been there b/c I just discovered it under my ring a few days ago. The one on my upper ring finger is the one that has grown back bigger each time after compound w and after freezing by a dermatologist. I can only get two of the largest ones to show up on camera. But on that same finger, and other fingers on both hands there are very very tiny ones. All are skin colored maybe with a slightly yellow hue. They are circular and slightly raised, but pretty flat. My hands and body have no rashes. But I my skin is dry and itchy all over including my upper and lower lash lines. But again no rashes, no peeling just dry itchy skin. I have been running the heater in my house lately so that may account for some of the dryness and itchiness. My hands are always dry and crack like little tiny paper cuts it's sometimes from being so dry. Not huge cracks but very tiny. However like I said I am sure this is from over zealous hand washing several times an hour all day every day along with antibacterial wipes that contain alcohol all day every day between hand washings. As I said I've been diagnosed with OCD about germs thus the constant hand washing and antibacterial wipes. I want to use lotion so bad but I fear spreading whatever these things are to areas that I have microscopic cracks in my skin. I want to get rid of these things not spread them.

Answered by Dr. Kalpana Pathak 12 hours later
Hi XXXXXX,
Thanks for sending the details.
I guess you are having difficulty sending images. the same can be done by uploading an image of the concerned area by clicking on the upload image/ report icon or you can also mail the image to YYYY@YYYY and mention ATTN Dr Kalpana Pathak in subject line. I apologise for the inconvenience but as I said I need to have a look at the affected area.

Follow-up: Noticed flat warts. Hands dry, crack and bleed. How to get rid of this? 2 days later
Are you still there? I uploaded pictures 2 days ago. I looked at pictures of Pompholyx. What I have doesn't appear fluid filled, they've never leaked fluid. They never pop. They stick around for years. Only the tiniest ones seem to go away eventually. The one on my upper ring finger has been there 15-20 years. I don't know how long the one at the base of my ring finger has been there b/c I just discovered it under my ring a few days ago. The one on my upper ring finger is the one that has grown back bigger each time after compound w and after freezing by a dermatologist. I can only get two of the largest ones to show up on camera. But on that same finger, and other fingers on both hands there are very very tiny ones. All are skin colored maybe with a slightly yellow hue. They are circular and slightly raised, but pretty flat. My hands and body have no rashes. My hands are always dry and crack like little tiny paper cuts from being so dry. Not huge cracks but very tiny. However like I said I am sure this is from over zealous hand washing several times an hour all day every day along with antibacterial wipes that contain alcohol all day every day between hand washings. As I said I've been diagnosed with OCD about germs thus the constant hand washing and antibacterial wipes. I want to use lotion so bad but I fear spreading whatever these things are to areas that I have microscopic cracks in my skin. I want to get rid of these things not spread them. Please look at the pictures. They show the two areas on my ring finger. The others show the condition of my hands, that actually look better than usual.

Answered by Dr. Kalpana Pathak 9 hours later
Hi XXXXXX,
Thanks for writing back.
The images got uploaded today. Though four images are uploaded, all are same and none shows your fingers or warty lesions. If there has been a mistake in uploading, kindly upload the images again so that the diagnosis can be confirmed.

You have mentioned the problem of dry hands with fine cuts and fissures. The same can be treated with
Use of mild soap for washing hands
Moisturising your hands frequently with a cream preferably containing urea and lactic acid
Also apply steroid cream like mometasone over hands for few days.
Avoid too much use of harsh antibacterial wipes or wash

With these steps, your hands would definitely improve.
As far as warts are concerned, these can easily be removed with Electrocautery or RF cautery.

Hope that helped.