Noticed flap of tissue on tonsil. No swollen lymph nodes. Have had tonsil stone. Should I be concerned?

I just noticed a flap of tissue that is on my left tonsil. It is painless and appears to be healthy tissue in appearance, but is slightly pale at the tip. There's no swelling that is visible or any swollen lymphnodes in the neck. However, I can feel it when I swallow, and it can be compared to the sensation of a popcorn kernel stuck in my throat. I've had tonsil stones or Crypts in the past, and I'm thinking maybe one came loose in my sleep. Not quite sure if this is anything to be concerned with. Any ideas?
Posted Thu, 5 Dec 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Dadapeer K 1 hour later
Brief Answer: This can be tonsillolith or tonsil stone. Detailed Answer: Hello Welcome to health care magic. It seems from the history that you are having a flap of tissue soon left tonsil which is pale in appearance and this is producing sensation of something struck in throat while swallowing. This is found in tonsil stone called as tonsillolith. Normally our tonsils have got depressions called as crypts. Sometimes food particles, mucus get deposited and these get may calcified resulting in hardening and stone formation. Majority of the times they will not cause problems. But when they become large they may cause foreign body sensation, discomfort, sometimes bad oral smell. Tonsil stone has to be differentiated from tonsillitis, granuloma... since you are not having pain or enlargement of lymph nodes these conditions are very much unlikely. The treatment for this condition is mainly by removal. This can be done by ENT doctor by using simple instruments. This can be prevented by regular mouth gargling by oral cleaning solutions to prevent deposition of food particles in tonsil crypts. Hope I have answered your query. With regards Dr Dadapeer
Follow-up: Noticed flap of tissue on tonsil. No swollen lymph nodes. Have had tonsil stone. Should I be concerned? 43 minutes later
Well I would agree but this is tissue. The tonsil stones that I sometimes get look like okra seeds and smell horrible. This is actually tissue from my tonsil that appears to be growing abnormally. Could it be a benign growth or papilloma or something similar?
Answered by Dr. Dadapeer K 14 minutes later
Brief Answer: Tumors of tonsil is unlikely. Detailed Answer: Hello Welcome to health care magic. Thank you for the follow up query. Yes you are right, tonsil can be involved by common tumors and other conditions like granuloma, leukoplakia, papilloma, carcinoma.... The differentiating features are That show growth with increase in size over a period of time They involve lymph nodes of neck They present with pain They involve the temporomandibular joint leading to difficulty in opening of mouth Since you does not seem to have any of these symptoms these can be unlikely. But still do get oral cavity examined by ENT doctor or Dentist to rule out these conditions. As early diagnosis of any of these is very critical in treatment. Hope I have answered your query. Thank you.