Ask a Urologist   »  

Noticed fat like appearance in urine. No pain, burning or odor. What's going on?

I have been having what looks like fat in my urine..No burning, pain, or odor...
Posted Sun, 3 Mar 2013 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Answered by Dr. Ram Choudhary 5 minutes later
Welcome to healthcare Magic!
Fat hardly ever passes in urine except in severe trauma.
The cloudy appearance of the urine may be due to pus cells, high protein content or phosphates in the urine.
Please get a Urine complete examination and culture test to get an idea of the exact cause so that the treatment steps can be suggested further.
I hope the advise would be informative and useful for you.
Take Care!
Follow-up: Noticed fat like appearance in urine. No pain, burning or odor. What's going on? 2 hours later
It is not cloudy. It is mucous-like substance floating in water in toilet after. I urinate.
Answered by Dr. Ram Choudhary 4 hours later
Welcome back.
The flakes can be due to infection or it may be proteinacious material called Tammhorsefall casts, which is a normal phenomenon and subsides by itself.
A urine examination and culture is pivotal test to differentire, please get it.
I hope it would be of great help.