Noticed dry skin with peeling on inner thigh area and groin area. What is the cure and what precautions should be taken?

Dec 2013

I am aged 53, male, and for nearly 2 to 3 weeks, i have observed in and around groin area that a dry skin appears and then when it peels off, underneath all new fresh white skin appears. first it was restricted to the between the leg joints, but now, its area is increased leading to more dry skin, peel off and then a fresh layer all new white skin appears. I have no itching sensation, nor pain. I normally keep a healthy lifestyle, wash my own undergarments, and always have a hot water shower every day and wear clean clothes. My sugar level varies between 115 - 125. Could you please advise, what should i do to control this issue and precaution i need to take?? Thank you Regards XXXXX
Posted Thu, 19 Dec 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Sanjay Kumar Kanodia 42 minutes later
Brief Answer: Nothing to worry; it is simple exfoliation Detailed Answer: Hello, Welcome and thanks for posting your query to healthcare magic. I completely understand your concern for repeated faking over the groin and adjacent area. There are multiple causes of dryness, flaking and peeling of skin but most commonly it is due to fungal infection of the area. Even if it is not the XXXXXXX fungal infection then also there is super-added fungal infection to the skin in every flaking condition of groin area. This is due to the medical fact that the groin area is always a closed area. It is open only at the time of bathing. Rest of the time it has a wear and tear by heat, humidity and friction form clothing. All these things cumulatively cause damage to the skin which may result in accumulation of mild to moderate dead skin and finally dry, flaking and peeling of the skin. This condition most often affects person over 40 years with executive job where continuous sitting can be contributing factor. We very often see this condition in our clinical practice. I suggest you to kindly check for any recent change in life style where the offending factor could be present. It is quite common to find irritation of the skin after peeling due to mild to moderate inflammation after exfoliation. But in your case it is good to know that there is no any irritation. So you need not be worried about the same. Our prime importance is to prevent any further exfoliation of the area in future. To get the area in better condition kindly follow the suggestions below: 1. Do not pinch, pop or squeeze any of the affected areas. I suggest you to even not to touch the area unnecessarily. 2. Do not apply any creamy or oily stuff directly at or near the groin area. 3. Try to avoid any home remedies suggested by your friends or family members or otherwise self implicated therapies also. 4. Try avoiding situations of heat, sweating and humidity for long hours. Do not take hot showers and avoid heavy exercise and gym for few days. Do not sit for long hours. 5. Take two times bath. Do simple cold water or mildly warm water compresses (whatever temperature suits you) for three to four times a day. 6. Wear lose cotton clothes and cotton undergarments and change them two times in day. 7. You can apply cream containing anti-fungal and mild steroid in it for two times per day such as Candid B or Onabet B. Apply it in a very thin layer so that it should not be visible to the naked eye. Do not apply beyond 14 days. 8. Additionally you can apply medicated moisturizing cream ( such as oilatum cream) over the affected area immediately after warm or cold compress. Do not worry you will be alright soon. Hope these informations will help you. If you have any further query I will be glad to help. Regards. Dr Sanjay MD (Dermatology)
Follow-up: Noticed dry skin with peeling on inner thigh area and groin area. What is the cure and what precautions should be taken? 58 minutes later
Thanks for this quick response. I really appreciate the same. I shall do so as per your instructions for 14 days and then get back with the outcome
Answered by Dr. Sanjay Kumar Kanodia 9 minutes later
Brief Answer: First try to manage by hygiene measures Detailed Answer: Hello Sir, You will be quite alright by simple measures enumerated in previous Email. Do not start the cream at once. Just wait for few days of maintenance by simple measures. If at all the peeling is not reducing in 3-5 days then can start the cream application. I again request you that if at all you start the cream then apply in a very thin layer and do not proceed beyond 14 days. If you have any further queries i will be glad to help or if not then can close the query and rate the answer. With all my good wishes for early recovery, Regards. Dr Sanjay MD (Dermatology)