Noticed dry scalp, dandruff and some hair loss after change in weather. Suggest effective solution

I am orginally from Meghalaya, i had about wait length hair then not very thick but quiet healthy hair. Shifted to bangalore about 3 years back and noticed symptoms of dry scalp, dandruff and some hair loss. Recently (for almost a year) some balding around the crown and area above the forehead has been a reason of embarassment. I used to regularly (3 times in a week) oil my hair, use herbal mild shampoos, took vitamin B complex (for a month), but its been of no use. Kindly suggest effective solution.

Also note i do not usually suffer from any weakness, diseases or ailments. I eat lots of vegetables and drink about 3-4 liters of water daily.
Posted Wed, 25 Jul 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Kruti 41 minutes later

Dandruff is a common occurrence in many individuals; however when it gives rise to itching it needs to be treated immediately. I will recommend using steiprox shampoo thrice a week for this. The shampoo contains ciclopirox oleamine which is effective for dandruff. If the itching is intolerable then taking an antihistamines like tablet levocet will be useful. You may get this antihistamines prescribed by your treating doctor.

The hair loss on the crown and near the forehead needs further evaluation.

If there is associated widening of the parting line, it could be due to a hormonal cause which is referred to as female pattern alopecia. In such cases further evaluation needs to be carried out in terms of blood tests - hormonal levels like Follicle Stimulating Hormone (FSH), leuteinizing hormone (LH), insulin, testosterone, Dehydroepiandrosterone (DHEA) and thyroid profile tests.

After knowing whether or not a hormonal imbalance exists, it can be treated with antiandrogens.

Taking only multivitamins may not be sufficient. In some cases, I suggest my patients to try minoxidil lotion on the scalp twice a day. I have found positive reviews in terms of hair growth from my patients. I suggest you to consult a nearby dermatologist. The tests and treatment can be tailored as per your needs.

Hope my recommendations were helpful. Please let me know if I can address any other concern.