Noticed drops of blood after urination. What does this suggest?

Gastroenterologist, Surgical
Question
Hi when I go to the bathroom and wipe myself after urinating often there is drops of blood on the toilet paper... Why! I did have thrush not long ago
Posted Wed, 12 Jun 2013 in Abdominal Pain

Answered by Dr. Ketan Vagholkar 1 hour later
thanks for writing in XXXXXXX
Presence of few drops of blood is a worrisome symptom. Past history of thrush may not be of much significance. However one needs to ascertain the origin of the blood. the possibilities are
1. Ulcerative lesions in the introitus.
2. Local infection.
3. Vaginal lesions
4. Urethral lesions.
To identify the same one needs to undergo a thorough local examination by a clinician (surgeon)
Urine examination will also reveal if there is infection or there is bleeding from the genito urinary system.
I hope this answers your querry.

Follow-up: Noticed drops of blood after urination. What does this suggest? 5 minutes later
Is this serious? It's feels like a little tear. I was tested before and it came back saying thrush... I asked my doctor and she said when the vagina tears that's what can cause it. I only started having sex 8 months ago

Answered by Dr. Ketan Vagholkar 8 minutes later
Thanks for writing in.
Yes this condition if untreated can cause a lot of local problems and interfere with sexual relations.
I would suggest the following
1. Abstinence from sex until the raw areas completely heal.
2. Meticulous hygiene of the local parts which includes washing or douching the parts with a mild antiseptic preparation.
3. Complete course of both oral and local medications for thrush.
4. Plenty of oral fluids.
I hope this answers your doubt.
regards

Follow-up: Noticed drops of blood after urination. What does this suggest? 25 minutes later
What do you mean by compete course of both oral and local medications

Answered by Dr. Ketan Vagholkar 19 minutes later
A complete course of medications for the said problem depends upon the severity of infection. This may usually range from 7 to 21 days. The end point should no discharge and complete healing of the raw areas.
Oral medication include antibiotics and antifungal agents while local medications include vaginal pessaries and creams.

Follow-up: Noticed drops of blood after urination. What does this suggest? 15 minutes later
Do I get these from my doctor? It's the area between the back of my vagina to the start of my anus that where the bleed comes from??
I have had another close look and can see like little cuts that a slightly red on the indside of the vagina.. What could that be from?

Answered by Dr. Ketan Vagholkar 5 hours later
Yes you will need a doctor's prescription for these medications based on examination findings.
If it has to be the area between the vagina and the anus then it has to be a fungal infection with secondary infection which can give rise to bleeding.
If there are cuts on the inside of the vagina then the most likely cause could be fungal infection in which raw areas are developed which get secondarily infected give rise to itching, discharge and bleeding.
I hope this answers your doubt.