Noticed discolored flat mole on inner calf. No itching or bleeding. Underlying cause and cure?

I noticed a strange discolored flat "mole" on my inner calf that concerns me. The border edges do not appear too irregular, at least not like many of the pictures I've seen. However, it seemed to appear out of nowhere and is fairly large. It's not raised but flat on the skin and feels smooth; there is one dark spot on the far corner that is clearly seen, almost black and deeper under the surface of the skin, which is a lighter brownish-red. In all, it's about half the size of a pencil eraser. There is no scaling or itching or bleeding. No discomfort at all. But whoever it is, I have only noticed maybe a flat almost black round mole, almost black about the size of a pinhead. This, whatever it is, must've appeared very rapidly, maybe a week or two ago is my best guess. Three weeks at most. But if it's cancer I'm scared because it seemed to come out of nowhere, and had "grown" very quickly. Melanoma runs in my family. My grandfather used to have them removed all the time from his ears and head, but never required cancer treatment after excision. I'm quite worried as I just noticed it tonight when I shaved my legs. Anyway, I took a few pictures; whether they help is a different story. They aren't the best unfortunately. Any feedback would be great. I am extremely busy at work trying to XXXXXXX a deadline for a sarbanes-oxley financial compliance audit for a very large publicly traded company with almost no time to spare for an appointment with a doctor unless absolutely necesary. So I hope your profession opinion can determine whether there is nothing at all to worry about from the pictures, or that a should make an appointment, with urgency or it can wait a couple weeks. Thank you so much. Years ago I saw a dermatologist who noted some very dark flat moles on my calfs and told me to watch those because I am very light skinned and fair haired. The tiny moles were unlike any other, black and stood out. And now this right in the same area, hence the anxiety. I'm looking forward to your professional opinion and thoughts as to what, if anything, it may be. Thanks for listening.
Posted Mon, 11 Mar 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Sudarshan 1 hour later
Thanks for writing in .
Ive gone through the images uploaded.
However these are not very clear and a close up ,clear images can be more informative.
Also I would like to know -
Is there any pain/itching/bleeding over the area?
In what time period the lesion has grown up?
Since 3 weeks of noticed this is there any increase or decrease in size?
Are there similar lesions on any other area mentioned above?
Are you on any prescription drugs?
Answer the questions and we can continue the discussion here.
As of now it does not appear to be melanoma.
It does not appear to emergency but you should get these examined by a dermatologist when you have time.
I will be available for follow up.
Dr Sudarshan
MD dermatologist