Noticed discharge from the nipples, lower abdominal cramp and high sense of smell. What is wrong?

Average
Question
Hi, I have symptoms of a brownish milk like discharge, urine that has a distinctive odor, lower abdominal cramping, and a high sense of smell (not normal for me).And if it helps I recently quit smoking. I have been reading all kinds of things to see what it could be and a lot of what i have read says that it could be pregnancy, or a stomach flu, or even my birth control. Can you please tell me what I could be?
Posted Sun, 21 Apr 2013 in Women's Health

Answered by Dr. Shanti Vennam 1 hour later

Discharge from the nipples is seen in very early pregnancy as well as in the post ovulatory phase of the menstrual cycle. The odor of the urine depends on many factors like the foods we eat, the amount of fluid intake, the medications taken, presence of any infection and so on. With stomach flu, you are more likely to have diarrhea and vomiting along with abdominal cramps.

I would need your menstrual history, the mode of birth control you are practising, if you were sexually active without protection and if you missed your period to comment any further.

Hope I have answered your query. I would be able to help you better if you can get back with the information I requested for.

regards,
Shanti.V.

Follow-up: Noticed discharge from the nipples, lower abdominal cramp and high sense of smell. What is wrong? 13 minutes later
The discharge that I am experiencing is not coming from my nipples is it coming from my vagina. My menstrual history is normal my last period was the week of march 17-23. I am on the birth control pill called trivora tab 28's ud pack and have been taking the same pill for almost 2 years now. I am sexually active and always have protection and i have not missed any periods because I have just gotten off of it.

Answered by Dr. Shanti Vennam 23 minutes later

Thanks for writing back.

It is unlikely that you are pregnant with the history you have given. Now, the reasons for the vaginal discharge could be an infection, a cervical erosion, cervicitis, hormonal imbalance and a urinary infection. You should see a specialist for a local exam and a pap smear, vaginal swab and urinalysis. Further investigations like hormonal profiles and sonogram may also be needed.

Weight disturbances and stress can cause menstrual disturbances; a daily workout along with stress relief can go a long way to cure such problems. The heightened sense of smell could possibly be secondary to the fact that you quit smoking.

if you wish to exclude pregnancy, you can get a serum beta-hCG measurement about a week before your expected period;that is the earliest possible test for diagnosis of pregnancy.

Hope I have answered your query. Please get back if you need further clarifications. I will be ready to help.

regards,
Shanti.V.

Follow-up: Noticed discharge from the nipples, lower abdominal cramp and high sense of smell. What is wrong? 12 minutes later
With the heightened sense of smell can that cause nausea, or does me being nauseated have to do something some other side affect?

Answered by Dr. Shanti Vennam 13 minutes later

The heightened sense of smell may occur in several other situations, pregnancy is one of them, and need not necessarily be associated with nausea. Nausea may be observed not only in early pregnancy but also when you have a stomach infection, a gastritis, or infection of the urinary system, with contraceptives, antibiotics, and food intolerance etc. You can locate the cause by seeing a doctor.

Hope I have clarified all your doubts. If you do not have any further queries, please close this discussion and rate this answer.You can get back whenever you wish to have any further clarifications. I will be ready to help.

regards,
Shanti.V.