Noticed decrease in blood flow during period. Worrisome

low bleeding during periods. earlier the flow was good but for past one year the cycle is on time but with low flow. I'm 33 years
Posted Sun, 12 May 2013 in Menstruation and Miscarriage
Answered by Dr. Shanti Vennam 26 minutes later

Recent decrease in the uterine blood flow during periods could be due to either low body fat as happens during excessive exercise or crash dieting which can lead to decrease in the body fat below a certain proportion; or nervous and emotional factors that can lead to suppression of centers in the brain that stimulate the ovarian activity; or loss of uterine surface during operations on the uterus like myomectomy and rarely due to hormones; or Asherman's syndrome where intrauterine adhesions are seen. Oral contraceptive pill usage can sometimes cause scanty menstruation.

Investigations to diagnose the cause include complete hormonal profile to rule out polycystic ovaries, thyroid disorder, hyperprolactinemia and diabetes, an ultrasonogram, a dilatation and curettage and an MRI.

If you wish to know the cause, if you are anxious to conceive, you should see a gynecologist and get a complete evaluation done.

Hope I have answered your query. Please feel free to contact if you need further clarifications. I will be happy to help.