Noticed darker pigmented area outside the labia minora. Had a bump earlier in the same area. Suggest the solution?

I am 36 years old and have 3 children. When I went to shave today I noticed a darker pigmented area outside the labia minora. Its not raised or anything its just flat darker pigmented area, should I be concerned? There is darker areas little spots but this one is the one I noticed? I had a bump there a few months ago that I was able to pop and it went away so I am not sure if its from that? Its got a rectangle shape to it, just darker in color...
Posted Thu, 3 Oct 2013 in Pigmentation Problems
Answered by Dr. Kalpana Pathak 31 minutes later
Brief Answer:
You need not be concerned

Detailed Answer:
There is no need to be concerned about this pigmentation in your genital area.
As you had a boil at the same area, it seems this pigmentation is post inflammory hyperpigmentation( PIH) . PIH in your case occurred due to development of boil and due to its further manipulation( squeezing). Any inflammatory skin lesion can heal with lightening or darkening of skin( hypo or hyperpigmentation). It is a normal healing process.

PIH as such resolves with time. So no active intervention is required. But if it bothers someone cosmetically then one may try using Kojic acid cream over affected area for faster resolution of pigmentation.

Hope this helped.