Noticed dark stripe running vertically towards toe. Sensitive to the touch. Any thoughts?

Excellent
Question
i have a dark stripe running vertically on my big toe, it has been there for months. Four days ago I noticed a purple/red XXXXXXX on the side of the same toe' it is sensitive to the touch. Any thoughts?
Posted Sun, 30 Dec 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints

Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 2 hours later
The dark stripe running vertically on the toe is likely to be due to an injury causing a collection of blood in the area. The appearance of pain and a purple red XXXXXXX is likely to be due to an infection. You need to get the area examined from your physician as systemic antibiotics are needed to control the infection.

In case there is a collection in the area, incision and drainage might be needed. You can start with doing a hot fomentation in the area for relief and take a mild pain killer. Do consult your physician for a direct examination and necessary antibiotics.
Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Regards.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.

Follow-up: Noticed dark stripe running vertically towards toe. Sensitive to the touch. Any thoughts? 6 hours later
Thanks, I forgot to mention that I am also type one diabetic, (been on insulin almost 8 years) but have always had good results with foot exams and feeling in my feet, does this change anything?

Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 1 hour later
Hello.
Thanks for writing again.
Diabetes makes you more prone to foot infections specially the fungal infections. You need to get it examined and take the proper antibiotics.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.
Regards.