Ask a Urologist   »  

Noticed dark spots on penis head. Any idea what this could be?

Hi I''m a 53 old male. I have noticed dark spots on the top edge of my penis head, that seem to turn purple when I touch them. I haven't had sex in many months. They are slightly elevated, do not itch, hurt or otherwise noticeable, but they are very slightly elevated. They have been there for about a month. I am circumcised. Any idea what this could be? Thank you.
Posted Sat, 26 Jan 2013 in Penis Problems
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 1 hour later
I have seen the picture attached.
Reddish,purple spots on the penis head that are painless and non itchy can be Fordyce's spots and these are abnormally dilated blood vessels.

The cause is usually unknown and they arise by them selves.

They are non infectious,subside on their own after sometime and do not require any treatment.

If they are associated with any pain,itching,discharge then other conditions as warts,ulcers,skin conditions can be thought of.

If their is development of any other symptom then consider visiting your Primary Physician for physical examination and evaluation.

Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.