Noticed dark spots in mouth. No pain. On bigger than the other. What to do?

ENT Specialist
Today I have discovered first this dark spot in my mouth on left mouth cheek and I don't know what this is. After further inspecting other side I found another one(not dark) but different on the right side. Both can be felt and are painless but the right one is a bit bigger, kinda hangs from the skin but these two findings are not the same thing as they are not in sample places and are different structure/color as well. I don't remember bitting myself...

I am attaching both images.
Posted Mon, 24 Jun 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Sreenivasan Narayana 5 hours later

I have looked at the pictures and also went through the descriptions posted by you. Firstly, let me reassure you if you have any concern related to any cancers of the mouth -these pictures and descriptions suggest that the patches or spots that you are referring to are benign conditions and highly unlikely to be something of that sort.

There are various causes of white and coloured patches in the mucosal region of the mouth; although most of them are benign, we should be aware of the conditions which are precancerous. In your case, the right one looks like a lesion having resulted from friction from the teeth during chewing.

You need to be more worried if you have any of the following;
1. Family history of oral cancers
2. You use tobacco
3. You consume alcohol regularly
4. These lesions change in size, shape, color.
5. The cause pain, ulcers and bleeding

If you still have concern and want to evaluate, only a biopsy of the lesion with examination under microscope of the sample will confirm the characteristics of the lesion. I suggest you carefully observe for couple of weeks and XXXXXXX an ENT specialist if you have any doubts. Also, you can re post pictures after couple of weeks.

Follow-up: Noticed dark spots in mouth. No pain. On bigger than the other. What to do? 3 hours later
Thanks for the answer. So you're saying the right one is most likely nothing XXXXXXX and will go away or it will stay like this? I think it's been like this for a long time already but I'm not sure.

Also, you haven't commented anything one the first picture with the dark spot.
Answered by Dr. Sreenivasan Narayana 2 hours later

The dark spot in your left buccal mucosa can be because of many reasons - it could be a mole, neavus or even a blood clot caused due to the biting of mucosa between the upper and lower teeth. It looks clean to me with well-defined borders and no other associated symptoms. As I suggested, you can watch for signs in the next two weeks. If there is no change, you can continue watching for another two weeks before ignoring the lesion. In majority of cases, you don't have to really worry. But if you want to be still 100% sure the only way is biopsy. There is absolutely no other confirmatory method to rule out a fear of conditions such as cancers.