Noticed dark skin on inner thigh. Easy way to get cure?

black smudges XXXXXXX on the inner thigh hi my name is XXXXXXX and doctor I have a question about me that I always wonder for many years I have these black smudge XXXXXXX on the skin of the inner thigh I'm a little over weight and once in my younger life I don't remember seeing those marks that's look like big smudges of the pigment of the skin in sister have the same thing but she bigger then me I don't know where it came from it been there years before I even started haveing kid do this happen on obesity woman or do it have do with the skin inside the inner thighs
Posted Sun, 12 May 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 4 hours later

A slight difference in color can be normal and can be ignored as it is quite common o have darker skin around inner thigh or upper groin but if it is really big patch, then It should not be ignored.

In large number of cases it may be due to being obese where it can result due to increase in insulin levels in blood resulting in a spillover of insulin in the skin causing more melanin production and ultimately resulting in dark patches called as ACANTHIOSIS NIGRICANS.

Sometimes obesity may result in friction of thigh skin resulting in dark skin.

Treatment is eating healthy, doing regular exercises and losing weight.

However sometimes it can be due to diabetes or rarely in cancer also or in polycystic ovary syndrome.

You may consult your doctor for the relevant investigations.

You may apply locally aloe Vera or cocoa butter along with lifestyle modifications.

I hope it helps. However, you may revert to me for any further query.

Best of luck
Follow-up: Noticed dark skin on inner thigh. Easy way to get cure? 20 hours later
thank you doctor
Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 21 minutes later
You are most welcome to ask any query any time.