Noticed dark seed like structure in stool. What could it be?

Apr 2013

General Surgeon
I have dark seed like things with tails. Size of a XXXXXXX seed. Not moving. Diarrhea. ?
Posted Mon, 15 Apr 2013 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 2 hours later
Hi XXXXXXX and welcome to XXXXXXX
The possible cause of your problem is Ditropan!
It is known that after taking Ditropan XL you may notice something like a tablet in your stool. The outer coating of such tablets usually isnt digested and it forms this seed like globules. It shouldnt worry you. Also one side effect of this drug is constipation, but you should continue taking it. If you experience some more serious symptoms such as blood in stool or crampy pain with bloating you should consult your doctor.
Hope I have answered your query. If you have any further questions I will be happy to help
Follow-up: Noticed dark seed like structure in stool. What could it be? 3 hours later
Hi, there were 100s of these in my diahrrea. Many bms today.
Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 16 minutes later
Then it seems like you are having enterocolitis. One tablet can cause tens of such formations. If you dont remember some suspicous food you ve eaten it can be caused by virus. You should just wait and see is diarrhea gonna resolve in next 48 hours. You need to drink lot of water to be adequately hydated and eat fresh fruit, toast and crackers, milk products and avoid fats and sugar.
If this is associated with fever and pain then antibiotic treatment may be necessary. Welbutrin can cause diarrhea as well,consult your doctor about taking another antiderepssant.