Noticed dark bruise close to incision scar from appendix removal. Looking for cure

Last night I noticed a large dark bruise in my lower abdomen - it is just bit above the incision scar from my having my appedix removed 27 years ago. There is no pain, I have had no injury or strain that I can recall. It just appeared last night as I ermoved myclothes to take a shower. It is oval shaped approx 3.5" x 1.3" - today the color has lightened a bit
Posted Sun, 10 Mar 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Rahul Kumar 17 minutes later

Thanks for the query and supporting photograph.

The picture clearly represents a bruise. There might have been some trivial trauma which you might not be able to recall. If there was no definite injury even trivial, then platelet deficiency needs to be ruled out.

I do not see any sinister concern here, although I would suggest you to get your platelet level checked once. Don't worry it is nothing serious and is not related to your incision scar.

On other thoughts, I would like to know whether you take insulin injection in abdomen, then this can be a possible cause.

Hope I answered your query. Let me know if you need clarifications.

Follow-up: Noticed dark bruise close to incision scar from appendix removal. Looking for cure 10 hours later
Thank you Dr. XXXXXXX To answer your question, no I do not inject insulin in that area. Occasionally I will inject it in the area to the right or left of my navel, but that is not often nor recent.

Another thing that I thought of that happened 4 days before this presented was that my right thigh, just above my knee was injured by accidentally walking into a piece of metal. It was hit very hard, I screamed in pain and I am convinced that had I been shorter the hit would have fractured my patella if it had hit my knee straight on like it did my thigh. I fully expected that there would be a terrible bruise from this injury, but after applying some medicinal oils, I was surprised that my thigh area had no discoloration from the injury and the pain and inflammation quickly went away. The injured area on my thigh is approx 38cm directly above this bruise on my abdomen. Do you think there is any possibility that the use of the oils which contain helichrysum (known as an anticoagulant), wintergreen, clove, and peppermint (which are said to increase circulation and the body's ability to dissapate the bruise) may have caused the bruise to move into another area of my body - 38cm directly above the injury? Thanks for your attendance and advice.
Answered by Dr. Rahul Kumar 1 hour later
thanks for writing back to us.
You have got an excellent observation. Application of anti coagulants may cause a bruise in the surrounding area, but it cannot be 38 cm away. So application of oil cant be the reason.
Just get platelet levels done once, I dont think there should an any other problem.
Thank you