Ask a Homeopath   »  

Noticed crunch in feet and knees while doing yoga. What should be done to improve this condition?

Excellent

Naturopathy & Yoga Specialist
Question
While yoga I noticed that my feet and knees crunch ... I was wondering if these are symptomps of any illness, if yes, what I should be doing to improve the condition?
Thank you
Posted Fri, 12 Oct 2012 in Yoga

Answered by Dr. Gurudatta H K 59 minutes later
Hello Madam,

I would like to clarify few aspects, before answering your query. They are as follows –

1. Do you have pain in the knees and legs while doing yoga?

2. What kind of yoga postures are making you feel the crunch in the knees and legs?

3. Are you over weight?

4. What is your profession?

5. Are you exposed to enough sunlight through the day?

6. What is your height?

7. Is there any family history of obesity?

8. Is there any family history of arthritis?

9. Do you also have swelling in the knees while doing yoga?

10. Is there any stiffness or tightness in your knees? Especially after sometime of inactivity like sleeping and waking up in the morning, sitting for some time – say 30 minutes or so and then getting up leads to difficult in getting up from the chair.

I need to understand these aspects before answering your question. Along with this a examination needs to done to come to a conclusion whether you are suffering from any illness, without which I cannot pronounce what condition you are suffering from.

After understanding the condition you are suffering from, I can suggest the right postures and solutions for the same.

With best wishes.

Follow-up: Noticed crunch in feet and knees while doing yoga. What should be done to improve this condition? 1 hour later
Hello Doctor

Well...
Do you have pain in the knees and legs while doing yoga? - no pain at all.
2. What kind of yoga postures are making you feel the crunch in the knees and legs? - crunch in feet when walking on tips, and in knews - when standing up.
3. Are you over weight? - no
4. What is your profession? - i work a lot in front of computer
5. Are you exposed to enough sunlight through the day? - yes I try to but not always
6. What is your height? 162 cm
7. Is there any family history of obesity? no
8. Is there any family history of arthritis? - not sure need to check on this.
9. Do you also have swelling in the knees while doing yoga? - no swelling
10. no stiffness or tightness that I rememeber.

Thank you so much

Answered by Dr. Gurudatta H K 1 hour later
Hello Madam,

I got the points you have mentioned, could you please explain exactly what do you mean my crunch – is it cramps or feeling of weakness in your legs and knees while doing the standing postures?

With best wishes,

Follow-up: Noticed crunch in feet and knees while doing yoga. What should be done to improve this condition? 15 hours later
Hello Doctor

It is crunch in feet and knees... in feet when I walk on tips. I was told it might the air or dryness so I was wondering what I should do. No feeling of weakness

Answered by Dr. Gurudatta H K 33 minutes later
Thanks for providing the additional details.

From what I understand you have a crushing experience in knees and feet (correct me if I am wrong). If that is so, you need to do the following –

1. Apply plain and warm sesame oil on your knees and legs everyday for about 2 – 3 weeks and massage lightly. The direction of massage should be from the knee towards the feet. Oil needs to be warm enough, so that you can bear the heat of the oil. Do not heat the oil directly on the flame, instead boil some water and heat the oil in a bowl in the boiling water.
You need to massage at least 15 minutes, leave it for another 10 – 15 minutes and then wash it off with gram flour (green gram). Do not use soaps.

2. Drink at least 2 glasses of milk every day, preferably cow milk.

3. Try and use sunflower or sesame oil in your diet.

4. Ghee is also a good product for lubrication of the joints. You may just use it with rice or chapathis, about a ¼ - ½ spoons per day.

5. In terms of Yoga postures, make sure that there is no extra undue pressure on the knee joints.
There can be stretches for the knees, calves and hamstrings. Please check for specific postures with a yoga therapist.

6. Try and expose yourself to sun in morning and evening hours, of course without any sun creams, and also if you are not allergic to sun.

7. In addition you may have Vitamin D deficiency in view of reduced sun exposure and pains. Please consult your physician for evaluation.

I hope to have answered your queries. Let me know if you have other enquiries.

With best wishes,
Dr H K Gurudatta, BNYS