Ask a Urologist   »  

Noticed cracks on foreskin and getting burning sensation while urinating. Any treatment?

foreskin of my pennis has tiny cracks. these cracks cause burning sensation when i urinate. what is the treatment and how do i ensure that they dont recur
Posted Sun, 9 Dec 2012 in Penis Problems
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 54 minutes later

I would like to know some more details on your problem to understand better and opine specifically.

Are the cracks on the inner-side of the foreskin ?
Since when did you notice the cracks ?
Are they more symptomatic in the mornings ?
Is there any discharge oozing out from the lesions ?
Have you applied any medications on the same ?

With the simple description I could think of a condition can be termed as posthitis. It is curable. Topical antibiotic cream like Metronidazole or low potent steroids are used for a week. Proper hygiene with frequent washing and drying of the prepuce is an essential preventive measure.

Follow-up: Noticed cracks on foreskin and getting burning sensation while urinating. Any treatment? 21 hours later
the cracks are on the outer side only.since two weeks. all the dischcharge. i applied betnovate n ointment.
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 13 hours later

Thanks for the information.

Based on the history, the cracks on the foreskin probably may be due to dryness of the skin (xerosis). The dryness is a common symptom associated with age and can be worsened with cold environment. But don't worry; dryness usually subsides soon on its own or with application of Vaseline (Petroleum jelly) / other moisturizer.

Besides that
- If you are active sexually, these cracks can be related to reduced lubrication.
- Allergic irritant may worsen the cracks.
- Fungal infections may also be a reason.

I would suggest you to try the moisturizer with antifungal cream as mentioned in my earlier reply.
Use good lubricants if you are sexually active.

In addition when such cracks appear, care has to be taken to prevent bacterial infections through the cracked surface. This can be done by cleaning the foreskin with antiseptic solutions like Cetrimide (savlon) twice daily and wear clean inner-wears.

Stop applying Betnovate ointment if it is not helping.

Hope I answered your query. Let me know if you have other concerns.

Wish you good health...