Noticed cluster lump on toe nail. What is the cure?

Dermatologist
Question
my fifth toe nail is not in good shape and texture. also I have a cluster lump at the end. attachwd is a picture for your refrence. kindly check
Posted Thu, 12 Dec 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails

Answered by Dr. Geetika Paul 41 minutes later
Brief Answer: Fungal infection of nail Detailed Answer: Hi XXXXXXX , I understand your concern regarding your skin problem and I hope to help you in the same. I have seen the attached picture. Your toe nail seem to be infected by a fungus. There is evident discoloration and thickening of the toe nail while other nails appear to be normal. Fungal infection of toe nails is quite common but it requires a long term treatment for total cure. I would advise you to see a dermatologist in order to confirm the diagnosis which can be done by taking superficial nail scrapings and checking them for various fungal element's. If positive, you can be started on oral antifungal drugs. Though there are various drugs available for its treatment but the duration of treatment can vary from three to nine months. This infection usually starts with a single nail and if it is not treated on time, it can go on to spread to other nails as well. So you should start treatment right away. Hope it helps If you need any other clarifications, please ask Dr Geetika Paul.

Follow-up: Noticed cluster lump on toe nail. What is the cure? 7 hours later
I am having this problem since 5 years till now nothing happened is it ok if I let I go like this as it is not creating any problem to me just nail scaking is black

Answered by Dr. Geetika Paul 20 minutes later
Brief Answer: Nail fungus : treat it Detailed Answer: Hi again, See nail fungus is a very slow spreadin infection and it is slow to heal and recover too. This is the reason why the treatment is also a bit lengthy . You can as well leave it on its own. There is a little chance that it might not spread and remain localized only to one nail. But there are more chances that it will eventually infect other nails too slowly. So it is always better not to leave it untreated, though it does not cause any pain or discomfort. If you need any other clarifications,please ask. Dr Geetika Paul.

Follow-up: Noticed cluster lump on toe nail. What is the cure? 4 minutes later
is there any home remedy for the same which can be taken care day to day to heal up the nail

Answered by Dr. Geetika Paul 6 minutes later
Brief Answer: Nail fungus: Topical treatment Detailed Answer: Hey, No, there is seemingly no such good home remedy. But yes there is a medicine in the form of nail paint. It is available as amolorfine five percent nail paint. It has to be applied only once a week as a nail paint over the affected after scrubbing the upper surface of nail. It is transparent and not visible to others. But this also has to be applied once a week for months together till the normal color of nail returns. Dr Geetika Paul

Follow-up: Noticed cluster lump on toe nail. What is the cure? 2 minutes later
do I have to ho to doctor for check up or can is amolorfine directly from local medicine store.

Answered by Dr. Geetika Paul 8 minutes later
Brief Answer: Combine topical and oral therapy for rapid respons Detailed Answer: Well you can start it right away. See if you only apply this topical paint, it takes a longer time for the nail to heal. If you combine it with oral drugs , then the recovery is much faster. You can additionally start with Tablet fluconazole 150 mg once a week for 9 months. Dr Geetika Paul

do fucanazole have any effect on health as I m diabetic

Answered by Dr. Geetika Paul 40 minutes later
Brief Answer: Nail fungus treatment Detailed Answer: Hi XXXXXXX , Fluconazole is not known to affect blood glucose levels. You can safely take it. The main concern is that it is to be avoided in patients with liver diseases. Dr Geetika Paul

thanks

Answered by Dr. Geetika Paul 1 minute later
Brief Answer: . Detailed Answer: Welcome XXXXXXX