Noticed clitoral hood looks bad and swollen. Suffer pain. How to deal with pain?

Mar 2016

I'm assuming that it's my clitoral hood, but it hurts really bad, and is swollen. It's not huge or anything, just swollen. This has happened before around march, with the pain starting on a Monday/Tuesday. Eventually the pain got so excruciating, I went to the urgent where they gave me antibiotics, and some pain killers for the pain. This was on a Saturday, By Sunday night, I was lying down, and basically the adhesion drained itself. And now, it's happening again. I just want to know how I can deal with the pain with out any prescription drugs.
Posted Fri, 27 Sep 2013 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. S Patra 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Clitoral pain can be dealt with below measures.

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for writing to us. I am trying to solve your problem.

With above clinical findings, there are some possibilities and these are as follows:

1) Bacterial infection - If you are sexually active, then STD is to be ruled out. Most women remain asymptomatic.

2) Allergic reaction in contact with soap/ detergent or other bath products/ perfume which cause repeated irritation & pain around clitoris with swelling.

3) Others - Frequent sexual excitement, improper technique of masturbation, Inserting foreign objects, poor genital hygiene etc.

In this condition, proper antibiotic, painkiller medication, applying cortisone cream, local hot compression and maintenance of genital hygiene are the key treatment option.

The following measures can be helpful to alleviate recurrent clitoral pain :

1) Take healthy diet with anti oxidant (Vitamin-E, C, selenium, zinc, lycopene etc) supplements. Drink plenty of water/ juice for better systemic circulation.

2) Do not touch/ wipe out genital area too much. Also avoid inserting objects or frequent clitoral stimulation.

3) Wear only clean & cotton underwear. Don't wear any tight fitting cloths or pants to avoid repeated friction/ irritation. Remove underwear at bedtime.

4) Don't use chemical cosmetics or detergent powder/ soap or perfume around genital area. Maintain your genital hygiene with proper shaving & cleaning with plain water only.

5) Taking warm water soaked pad gives some relief. Keep the genital area dry with decreased moisture.

6) Avoid sexual relationship till the problem is resolved and practice protected sex in future.

Hope, above said information is sufficient & very much helpful to you. If you have any further questions I will be happy to help.

Wish your good health and take care yourself.

Dr Soumen