Noticed clear fluid discharge from nipples. Taking methadone. What is the cause?

Hello doctors. Im a 25 year old male. First of all let me say that im a bit of a hypochondriac. Im also on a methadone treatment plan. Highest dose was 55mg but am down to 13mg and going down. Ive been an addict for approximately 5 years. Approximately 8 months ago i noticed that after eating a large meal i would get a sort of sharp pain under my left nipple. This has stopped. It did catch my attention though, being a health worrier. I could leave my nipples alone. I would squeeze them and rub and eventually a clear fluid was released. Really worried me. And approximately 2 months ago i was rubbing my right nipple, and a white fluid came out. I was wondering if this could be from the constant touching of both nipples, and possibly because im on methadone which can lower testosterone. Ive tried leaving them alone but sometimes i feel what feels like a wetness on my nipples so i feel the need to check. Any thoughts?
Posted Fri, 6 Dec 2013 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems
Answered by Dr. Shehzad Topiwala 25 minutes later
Brief Answer: Galactorrhea Detailed Answer: Galactorrhea is the medical term for milk-like discharge from the breast and is obviously considered abnormal unless it occurs in a nursing mother. This merits thorough evaluation. Sometimes a high prolactin level in the blood can cause this to happen. You are correct in knowing that methadone can lower testosterone but that alone cannot cause galactorrhea. However, occasionally methadone may cause an elevation of prolactin levels and consequently lead to the problem you are experiencing. A blood test for prolactin is in order in addition to a systematic evaluation by an endocrinologist, who will assess the thyroid as well medication history.
Follow-up: Noticed clear fluid discharge from nipples. Taking methadone. What is the cause? 6 minutes later
Ok. This milk like discharge only happened one time which was approximately 2 months ago. I mentioned that from time to time i feel a wet sensation on my nipples but when i check they are dry. Strange! I get this sensation on other parts of my body as well my back and legs. Does galactoreah happen constantly or would this one time thing be considered that as well?
Answered by Dr. Shehzad Topiwala 11 minutes later
Brief Answer: Still qualifies Detailed Answer: Yes even a one time occurrence is worthy of investigation.
Follow-up: Noticed clear fluid discharge from nipples. Taking methadone. What is the cause? 12 minutes later
Ive done some research on galactorreah and it says that constant coctact with the nipples can actually cause this in both men and women. Wondering because for quite a while i was squeezing and rubbing them to see if anything would be expressed and thats when that whitish fluid was expressed. This just causes me great concern being a man, makes me feel real wierd. I know galactorreah can be the result of underlying conditions. Can it also be the result of something minor, such as me constantly rubbing and squeezing?
Answered by Dr. Shehzad Topiwala 9 minutes later
Brief Answer: Unlikely Detailed Answer: I strongly recommend a comprehensive evaluation