Noticed circular pattern on knee cap. No lumps or raised areas. What could this be?

This morning I noticed a circle shaped pattern on the lower front of my knee cap? It doesn't hurt, but it is clearly visible and odd. There are 5 circles visible- that form ring shapes with a darker outer rim- There is a clear pattern. It is "flower - like" with one circle in the middle and the remaining 4 symmetrically surrounding it. The center of the circles/ rings looks white in color.I cannot send a photo in a file, but I could email one to you if needed. I have no other details I can add. I have no history of skin conditions or other medical issues. I am mystified what this would be. There are no lumps or raised areas.
Any idea what this would be? Please reply to YYYY@YYYY . Thank you
Posted Mon, 25 Mar 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Rahul Kumar 1 hour later

Multiple circles without any symptom can be any of the following.
1.Granuloma annulare - which is a self limiting condition of unknown cause.
2. Erythema annulare centrifugum - this is again a self limiting condition but rarely may be associated with systemic problems.

I suggest you to get the following investigations done.
1. Complete blood count.
2. Liver function test
3. Renal function test.

Apply oint mometasone for a week, you will get relief. If there is no improvement you must XXXXXXX a dermatologist and get a biopsy done. Only that will tell the exact diagnosis.

A photograph would have helped in diagnosis. If you do not wish to upload the pictures here on this page, you can email it them at YYYY@YYYY . Please specify Attn: Dr. Rahul Kumar as the subject line to help me identify it.

Let me know if you have any other doubt.

Follow-up: Noticed circular pattern on knee cap. No lumps or raised areas. What could this be? 5 hours later
Thank you for your answer to the query I sent this morning...
Here is a photo of my knee cap. I was unable to upload the photo successfully, and did not have an email to send it to!
Perhaps it will help you diagnose my issue better? As you can see, it has a definite 5 circle / ring pattern. Thoughts?

Many Thanks, XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Rahul Kumar 3 hours later
Thanks for the photograph; definitely, it has helped a lot.
The lesions appear like purpura (bleed in skin).
There is nothing to worry; it will fade off in a few days.
Just get your platelet levels checked once.
It usually occurs in cases of low platelet.
However, body can regenerate the platelet levels in just few days.
Thank you