Noticed circular bumps on penis. What cure should be done?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Feb 2013
Feb 2013

Pediatrician
Question
Hi there,

Since a young age I have had two circular (almost doughnut shaped) bumps on the inside of my prepuce that are visible when penile foreskin is retracted... They do not hurt, nor do they contain any liquids, puss etc however, I am concerned with what they are. At one point in time a doctor told my parents it was normal however I am not as convinced.... most recent research is indicative of primary syphillis however, I have had these bumps before becoming sexually active and have not displayed ANY of the symptoms commonly associated with syphilis... any help would be much appreciated.
Posted Thu, 21 Mar 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails

Answered by Dr. E Venkata Ramana 1 hour later
Hi XXXXXXX

Thank you for your query on Healthcare Magic,

With your description of the lesions, the two circular bumps are not looking like primary syphilitic lesions. As the primary syphilitic lesion will disappear after some days even without any treatment.

These lesions are looking like some retention cysts, which formed due to accumulation of smegma.

The other possibilities are genital warts or molluscum contagiosum.

However, physical examination of these bumps by a concerned doctor is important and will help to diagnose the exact cause for these bumps.

I advise you to consult a Dermatologist or Urologist for the examination of the bumps on the inside of your prepuce and to advise any treatment if required.

Hope I have answered your query, if you have any clarification please let me know.

Regards.

Follow-up: Noticed circular bumps on penis. What cure should be done? 1 hour later
Could you reccomend any over the counter remedies I could try? If retention cysts could they spread to my female partner?

Answered by Dr. E Venkata Ramana 13 minutes later
Hi XXXXXXX

Thank you for getting back.

Personal examination by a doctor is important to detect the cause for the two bumps and the treatment depends on the cause or the nature of the bumps.

Therefore, it is difficult to advise any over the counter remedy.

In some bumps, which are not growing in size, treatment is not required and, just wait and watch policy is enough.

However, before coming to a conclusion I advise you to consult the specialist I mentioned in previous answer for examination and diagnosis of the bumps.

Retention cyst does not spread to female partner.

But if they are due to some chronic infections like genital warts or molluscum contagiosum, they will spread to female partner if you don't use a condom.

Regards.

Follow-up: Noticed circular bumps on penis. What cure should be done? 33 minutes later
In light of your suggested diagnosis possibilities, what are the according methods of treatment for myself, and in the even they are infectious diagnosis's, what are the treatments for my partner?

Answered by Dr. E Venkata Ramana 34 minutes later
Hi XXXXXXX

Thank you for your query,

Take precautions to prevent trauma or injury to the area, which can result in bleeding.

Be careful to prevent transmission to a sexual partner.

Avoid touching, picking, and squeezing the bumps as they may be infectious by contact.

Don't use or try any self medication or any self intervention to remove them.

If they are due to retention cysts and if they are increasing in size, the surgical excision of the cyst may be required.

If they are due to genital warts, they can be removed by Cryotherapy, laser treatment, or Electrodesiccation.

Molluscum contagiosum in healthy people may not require treatment, because the bumps usually go on their own in 2 to 4 months. But Cryotherapy or cryosurgery, curettage, chemical applications like cantharidin or potassium hydrochloride may be used to remove the bumps.

Also genital warts and Molluscum contagiosum bumps may reappear even after removal.

If they are due to infections, prevention is always better than cure by preventing these infections to your partner by using condoms and avoiding contact with the bumps.