Noticed change in thyroid cartilage. Feeling thick and continuation of the cartilage. Painful while eating. Suggestions

I've noticed a change in what I think it the thyriod cartilage, to left of the layrngael incisure. It's not painful, I only happen to notice when touching my throat. It's slightly smaller than the size of my pinkie in area, about two nickels in thickness, and feels like a continuation of the cartilage. Looking up and moving my Adam's XXXXXXX a bump can be seen. There has been no recent exteral trauma, and my voice is unaffected. About a week ago I had a bad bout of heartburn, making eating painful for a few day. The last time I trimmed my facial hair, a few day before my heart burn, there was no abnormality. I am trying to determine how urgently I should be seen, or if I should give it a few day to observe.
Posted Wed, 26 Jun 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Basheer Ahamed 2 hours later
There are many reasons for anterior neck swelling. Thyroid swelling is the most common cause. In your case, the swelling is more on the left side.

Consultation with your doctor is very important to find the nature of the swelling even though it is not troubling you for the movement.

As in your case, heartburns can cause pain and irritation in the throat but not any swelling as such. The line of treatment depends on the cause of the swelling.

Now the priority is to make a diagnosis. The earlier you consult the doctor, the better. It is not an emergency though.

Hope the answer helps you.
Pleased to answer other queries.