Ask a Dentist   »  

Noticed bumps on tongue and having burning sensation while eating. Burning mouth syndrome?

Lately every time I eat something no matter what chocolate ketchup, soda ect my tongue burns like its on fire and the bumps swell up a bit, little things like this and even just trying to brush my teeth brings tears to my eyes it burns so bad, what could be the cause and how can I prevent the issue from returning, what little research I've done it sounds like burning tongue syndrome is that a possibility ?
Posted Wed, 27 Mar 2013 in Dental Health
Answered by Dr. Bindiya Bhaskar 54 minutes later

As per the details you had produced, the symptoms are associated with burning mouth syndrome.

Causes are-
1. Mechanical irritation.
2. Allergy.
3. Infection.
4. Parafunctional oral habits
5. Myofacial pain.
6. Vitamin deficiency.
7. Iron deficiency anemia
8. Xerostomia
9. Diabetes mellitus
10. Parkinsons disease
11. Medication
12. Depression
13. Anxiety
14. Psychosocial stress.

As you gave history of depression, allergy, asthma, medication, these factors may be the cause of burning sensation.
Symptoms you may experience in such cases are-

Burning sensation of supporting tissues or the tongue.
Pain is often present in the morning and tends to become aggravated during the day.
Dry mouth and persistent altered taste sensation.

Other associated symptoms are-headache, insomnia, irritability or depression.
The condition will become severe with factors like-
Hot or spicy foods
Pain intensity is reduced in cases of-

To prevent this issue from returning, I would suggest you to-
1. Avoid food items causing allergy like hot or spicy foods.
2. Vitamin supplements can be administered.
3. Take complete rest and relax your mind as well as your body as much as possible.
4. Salivary substitutes can be administered in case of dry mouth.
5. Please decrease the number of medicines taking if possible, after consulting with your physician.
6. Include nutritious food into your diet.
7. Avoid anxiety, stress, etc.
8. Please discontinue the use of appliance if placed in your mouth as it causes irritation.
Meanwhile, please do visit a dentist and get thorough clinical check-up whenever feasible.

Get XXXXXXX scaling done with your dentist.
If sensitivity of teeth persists, desensitizing toothpaste and soft-bristled toothbrush has to be used.

Hope this clarifies.
I will be happy to help you out for further concerns.