Noticed bumps and whiteheads on penis and pubic area. What can this be?

HIV AIDS Specialist
I'm on vacation and been here for a few days and just started to get little bumps and whiteheads on my penis and the pubic region. I do have a girl and we are sexually active have been for about 10months sometimes we use condoms sometimes we don't we have been both checked for stds in the past year or so what could this be. At first it was just a few now there are a bunch of small ones and a few medium ones and it seemed a bunch poped up right after I got out of the hot tube and I went swimming the other day for the first time in a year and using all different detergents for laundry. I first noticed them 2 nights ago after sex but there was just one and 2 days ago was the first time I went swimming and it was at a public pool and got in the public hot tube so if you could help me out that would be great I could send pictures
Posted Sat, 27 Jul 2013 in Sexually Transmitted Diseases
Answered by Dr. S. Murugan 3 hours later
Welcome to XXXXXXX

I saw the pictures sent by you.

The lesions on your penis is not fit with any of the STDs. Genital Herpes is a remote possibility. But in Herpes, the bumps will be containing clear fluid, not pus. Your pictures shows pustules rather than vesicles. So the possibility of Genital Herpes also very much unlikely.
The pustules with erythematous base may be due to Staphylococcus infection of skin or a hair folliculitis and not a STD. It may be due to bathing in a public swimming pool as you rightly pointed out.
If you consult a Dermatologist, after examination and investigation, he/she will treat the condition very easily with appropriate antibiotics and antiseptic bathing soaps.
Protected sex is always good to save guard ourselves and our beloved one from STD /AIDS.
Wish you a speedy recovery.
Dr S.Murugan
Follow-up: Noticed bumps and whiteheads on penis and pubic area. What can this be? 10 hours later
I took a shower right after the pictures and sending the message and used the soap I normally use and it was actually a little bit better
Answered by Dr. S. Murugan 5 hours later
Welcome back.
An antiseptic soap is better choice for time being. If the lesions do not regress spontaneously, you may be likely to take a course of an antibiotic with the guidance of a Dermatologist or a physician.
Get well soon.
Dr S.Murugan
Follow-up: Noticed bumps and whiteheads on penis and pubic area. What can this be? 11 minutes later
I went swimming again today since I'm never really able to and after they were worse again and then take a shower and they get a little better I really want to swimming the next two days but is it probably not a good idea to swim again?
Answered by Dr. S. Murugan 8 minutes later
Welcome back.
Swimming is always good and pleasant.
Confirm whether water cycling and chlorination and other precautionary measures are followed regularly. Otherwise choose another better pool.
Dr S.Murugan
Follow-up: Noticed bumps and whiteheads on penis and pubic area. What can this be? 1 hour later
The pools and hot tubes had very high amounts of chlorine. There are two different pool areas in the resort. So I'm wondering if its the chlorine?
Answered by Dr. S. Murugan 2 hours later
Welcome back.

Higher concentration of chlorine may likely to cause slight darkening of skin and irritation to the eyes.
It has the action of antimicrobial action on the water. So as far as my knowledge is concerned the increase in chlorine content could not be the reason.
Dr S.Murugan