Noticed bumps and swelling on thumb. Hurts to touch. What should I do to get relief?

I struggled opening a jar, and forced the lid into the bottom of my thumb. So a couple of days have past and my thumb still hurts when moving but more concerned about bump, looks like the vein swelled. I do type and use left hand with mouse but never had any problems with my left hand until opening that jar. Do I ice?
Posted Thu, 15 Nov 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 5 hours later
Although it looks like ligamental strain of your thumbs and should not be a fracture,but still you must get an X-ray done to rule out a fracture.
If no fracture is found then simple treatment would be to go for hot saline fomentation twice a day and taking some anti inflammatory medicine like ibuprofen 600 mg three times a day for 5 to 7 days.
You should be alright with these simple measures.
However,if fracture is there,then it has to dealt differently and you would have to consult an orthopedician and go for splinting of thumb.

I hope to have answered your query however you may revert to me for any further query.
Best of luck