Noticed bump on upper thigh. What can this be?

Apr 2013

General Surgeon
I just noticed a bump (? cyst) on my upper thigh - on the crease between my thigh and pelvic area.

What is that?
Posted Sun, 23 Jun 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 22 minutes later
Hi and welcome to XXXXXXX

Thank you for your query.

It would be helpful if you could describe this lump bit more.
Is it painful, soft or tender, is it movable, how fast did it grow, is there any redness around it or skin changes.

In most cases this is benign subcutaneous lesion such as lipoma, fibroma, atheroma or swollen lymph node. In these cases this is soft,painless bump with no signs of inflammation. It is only cosmetic problem and it can be surgically removed in local anasthesia.

Some rare causes are vascular malformations or malignancies and if you have any doubts or there is fast grow, redness, pulsation or pain in this area, you need to do ultrasound with needle aspiration and biopsy. After this further tests and treatment can be planned.

Wish you good health.