Noticed bump on scrotum after sexual encounter. The appearance is changing frequently. What could it be?

Dermatologist
Question
Hi Doctor, I noticed a single bump on my scrotum after a recent sexual exposure. I don't know if it had been there before or not. The benign's appearance has been changing frequently for the past 1 month. I have attached an image of it. Could you take a look at it and let me know what you think about that benign. If you zoom in the image you could get a better look at it. Thanks
Posted Sun, 8 Dec 2013 in Sexually Transmitted Diseases

Answered by Dr. Sudarshan 6 hours later
Brief Answer: lesion looks benign.No need to worry. Detailed Answer: Hi XXXXXXX Thanks for writing in. I have gone through your history and image uploaded by you. I was able to visualize the bump after zooming on the image. The bump can be viral wart or seborrheic keratosis. Both are benign changes and there is nothing to be worried about. In my clinic the patients with such lesion are treated with cryotherapy or radiofrequency cautery. In your case it would be advisable to observe the lesions for 3-6 months .If it increases in number or size then,treatment would be advisable,otherwise it would be better to observe the lesion. The lesion is benign and you need not worry . Hope this helps. I will be available for follow up. Regards DrSudarshan MD Dermatology,STD specialist.

Follow-up: Noticed bump on scrotum after sexual encounter. The appearance is changing frequently. What could it be? 1 hour later
When you say it is viral wart, do you mean that it is a genital wart? I have uploaded a new image of what the benign looked before. Does it help or change in you diagnosis. Thanks.

Answered by Dr. Sudarshan 24 hours later
Brief Answer: Wait and watch Detailed Answer: Hi Again, Thanks for details. Yes, by viral wart I mean genital wart. Genital warts can be of different types. Few types can resemble the bump that you have. I have gone through the new image also .The possibility of seborrheic keratosis more likely.In either case I would advise you only to wait and watch few weeks for any change in morphology of bump.If the size increases or new bumps arise then only treatment is advised. Hope this helps. I will be available for follow up. Regards. Dr Sudarshan

Follow-up: Noticed bump on scrotum after sexual encounter. The appearance is changing frequently. What could it be? 12 hours later
Would a biopsy help to determine what it is between viral wart and Seborrheic keraosis. Also are genital warts for life like would I even get recurrence after 10 years from now. Thanks.

Answered by Dr. Sudarshan 9 hours later
Brief Answer: Excision biopsy helpful. Detailed Answer: Hi again, The excision biopsy will be diagnostic and therapeutic.It will allow removal of bump and allow accurate diagnosis to be made. Even if it is wart it does not mean it is lifelong.Once treated properly it will not recur in life.You can safely wait for 6 weeks to observe the lesion.If it does not grow it is unlikely to be wart. Seborrheic keratosis is a harmless change and it can be left alone. Hope this helps. Regards DrSudarshan MD Dermatology