Ask a Urologist   »  

Noticed bump on penis shaft. Any idea what this might be?

HIV AIDS Specialist
Hi, I'm a 56 year old male, have always enjoyed good health. About a year ago I noticed a bump on the side of my penis. It was pink, smooth, and had a hair growing from the middle. I discounted it as an infected hair of some sort. After 6-8 months it subsided, you could barely see anything. Then, about four months ago, it started getting larger (it's the one in the middle right of the picture, the second largest one). Also, I have 3-4 other small pink bumps in the same vicinity, not clustered together but in the same area. One has a hair at its base, the others have have hairs pretty much within them, and there are another 1-2 that don't seem to have hair follicles around them at all. One other thing to mention is that they are tiny, the largest one at the bottom left might be a centimeter across, tops. Any idea what this might be?
Posted Fri, 4 Jan 2013 in Penis Problems
Answered by Dr. S. Murugan 2 hours later

The picture shows few raised cystic swellings over the shaft of penis and your symptoms are presenting without any itching or pain, persisting for months and one has already subsided spontaneously without treatment.

The possibilities are Molluscum contagiosum or some non infectious cysts from your skin. If you are a immuno-compromised individual then some other condition like Cryptococcus, Histoplasmosis skin lesion could be considered.

Molluscum contagiosum could be transmitted due to sexual route also. It is easier to be treated.
Sexually transmitted Genital Herpes is not a possibility as it could not persist as vesicles for months together.
You could approach a dermatologist and he/she will help in this regard. Other conditions need a biopsy of skin to arrive at a diagnosis. As of now, there is nothing you should be worried about.

Wish you a speedy recovery.
Dr S. Murugan
Follow-up: Noticed bump on penis shaft. Any idea what this might be? 44 minutes later
Doctor XXXXXXX I appreciate your answer and analysis. I just have one more question - if this is molluscum contagiosum, can it be contracted in ways other than sexually?
Answered by Dr. S. Murugan 15 hours later
Thanks for writing back.

Yes, of course Molluscum Contagiosum can be well transmitted other than sexually. Just close skin to skin contact is necessary. It is more common among children over their face and other parts of body in their school going age.
But when it occurs over genitals, it usually transmitted through sexual route.
Let me know if you have more questions. Else please close this discussion.
Good luck to you.
Dr S.Murugan