Noticed bump on lower back. Could this be a herniation?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Hi...Last night I discovered a slight welt/knot on my lower back (lumbar) towards the left side. It does not hurt to the touch and it does not feel like a bump. I did sprain my lower back when I was moving to my new place and have been putting heat in the area including using patches. Could this be a herniation of some sort or a simple knot that masseuse can cure?
Posted Sat, 13 Oct 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 27 minutes later
A small swelling like a knot on the lower back with a history of injury in the area is likely to be due to a fibrozed hematoma. It is not likely to be due to some herniation as a hernia in the back is very rare and is seen only through some surgical scars.
It is likely to gradually disappear over 2-4 weeks without any medical intervention. Regular hot fomentation and a mild massage will help.
You can self monitor the area for any pain or tenderness or redness which indicates an infection and needs systemic antibiotics for treatment.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.