Noticed bump on labia minora after protected intercourse. Is this the cause for concern?

Mar 2013
I had a small black spot on the inside of my labia minora. It wasn't raised then I squeezed it and a little blood came out. It was painless It doesn't itch. I noticed it about two hours after having protected intercourse that was kind of rough. I was wondering what it could be. Help me
Posted Fri, 22 Feb 2013 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 55 minutes later
Thanks for trusting us with your health query.
Actually you might have noticed the spot after intercourse, but it is unlikely that it developed so soon after intercourse, because it takes weeks for pigmentation changes to occur.
Colour changes such as black spots/ brown spots / patches are common In the inner labia minora. Most of the times, these are harmless pigmentation changes, but you need a check up by a doctor to tell which ones are melanomas ( potentially cancerous ) . These spots might require skin testing or serial follow up to determine if they are benign or not.
It's possible that due to the friction of the rough intercourse, as well as squeezing it, this spot got abraded and led to slight bleeding.
Sometimes the spots are also related to hormonal changes during the menstrual cycle or due to ingestion of certain medications.
Meanwhile, allergy to latex, medicated tampons or sanitary pads, douches, lotions, gels, cleansers, wipes etc also causes chronic colour changes in the genital area, but these would not occur immediately after an act of intercourse, but might have been noticed by you incidentally.
Please consult a Gynecologist for the exact diagnosis, and appropriate testing.
Meanwhile, please avoid touching / eroding / squeezing the area.
Since it is painless and does not itch, do not use any kind of medication or ointment till the diagnosis is confirmed.
Meanwhile, get yourself and your partner thoroughly checked for STD s, as some of them might present atypical.
Take care and feel free to ask for further clarifications.
Follow-up: Noticed bump on labia minora after protected intercourse. Is this the cause for concern? 9 hours later
It didn't look like just pigment discoloration. It popped like a little blood pimple and now i can still see where it was. My inner labia was a little swollen also that's y I looked down there and after I popped it the swelling went down too. Could the friction of the condom and the size and roughness caused a cut of some kind? It doesn't hurt when I urinate and it's right in there.
Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 3 hours later
Hi again,
It could be a minor infection of the sweat glands or the hair follicles.
Also the friction could definitely have abraded it, and then squeezing it ultimately could have ruptured the small amount of pus / blood collection.
Use a local anti bacterial ointment temporarily, but do consult a doctor for a final diagnosis.