Noticed bump behind ear. Is of same size and does not hurt to touch. Have health anxiety. Suggest?

General Surgeon
Hello Dr. Last week I found a hard pea shaped size bump behind my left ear......right on the bony part behind the ear. It has stayed about the same size and does not hurt to the touch. I have a lot of health anxiety as it is and to find this i am freaking out and can't sleep. I have not had a cold or been sick recently. Please help. What could this be.
Posted Sun, 4 Aug 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 31 minutes later

Thank you for the query.

Behind an ear very often lymph node is located. Most of the people do have such lymph node behind an ear. It is more possible if you have had an infection in this area (does not have to be recently).

Regular lymph node is rounded, with smooth surface, movable and painless. If yours lump similar to this description, no need to worry.
However, if your anxiety wont allow you to leave it alone, you may ask your doctor to have smooth tissues ultrasound of this area. In case of any doubts, biopsy can be done.

Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions.
Follow-up: Noticed bump behind ear. Is of same size and does not hurt to touch. Have health anxiety. Suggest? 12 hours later
Thank you Dr. Stanko,

I am not aware if any infections in my ear since I was a child. the lump in painless however it does not seem movable. It feels like it is right on the bone behind my ear. Recently I had been having stomach issues so I had a CT scan done of my abdomen and pelvis and there was no lymphadenopathy noted. Could this lump be something serious?
Thank you
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 5 hours later
Such lump does not seem to be something serious. Like I have mentioned before, most likely its just a regular lymph node. It does not seem to be enlarged so no need to worry about lymphadenopathy.
It can be not movable, it does not indicate anything. As long as it does not get larger, no other symptoms like cough, fever, hoarseness, chest pain, shortness of breath, night sweats, weight loss, nausea, lack of appetite, you should not be worried.
However if it really bothers you, please ask your doctor about an ultrasound and biopsy.