Noticed bulging vein on neck. Is this the cause of concern?

On two occassions, induviduals have noticed a vein on the right side of my neck bulging. On the first occassion, i was standing up and was very nervous about an upcoming oresentation. On the second occassion I was lying down in a position in which i was resting all my weight on my elbows and shoulders. When i returned to a regular sitting position, the individual said it was nor bulging anymore.

Is this cause for concern?

Thank you
Posted Sun, 3 Mar 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Anantharamakrishnan 1 hour later
Hi friend,
Welcome to Health Care Magic

An obstruction to flow causes the vein to bulge.
For the neck veins, it is at the entrance to chest or down

If it disappears, the cause is transient.

It is commonly seen when straining, holding the breath and so on - which increase the pressure inside the chest and cause temporary hold up.
A tight collar can directly press the vein.

If only, it is not going away - one needs to investigate.

Wishing speedy recovery
God bless
Good luck