Noticed bulging from the rib cage area. What could be causing this?

My husband has a bulging from his left rib cage area. It's inside the rib cage, not below it. It causes him pain and sometimes it throbs. He recently got a stomach virus (as did the whole family) and he said it was quaking when he vomited. The bulge is always there and has been there since he started having to sit in the passenger side of his jeep and steering the steering wheel with his left arm only (He is a mailman). This means that his body is twisted most of the day as he is driving.
Posted Sun, 10 Feb 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 2 hours later
The bulging from the rib cage area can possibly be due to-
1. A lipoma- a benign collection of fat cells.
2. A benign tumor usually involving soft tissue structures or underlying muscle tissue.
3. Boil or Abscess: It generally starts as a reddened, tender area. Over time, the area becomes firm and hard. Eventually, the center of the abscess softens and becomes filled with pus.
4. Sebaceous cyst: It is filled with a soft, whitish brown material that sometimes oozes out onto the skin's surface. This material is called sebum. If this protruding is accompanied by pain as well then there is a possibility of infection.
For the confirmation of diagnosis, you need to get this lump examined from a doctor and get a MRI scan for any soft tissue growth and a FNAB (fine needle aspiration biopsy) done.
Till then, you get this lump examined from a doctor, apply warm compresses on the lump because if it is a boil then application of warm compresses will help.

Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.