Noticed bulge on the bone behind the ear lobe, pain in shoulder and neck. Any ideas?

Jul 2012

I noticed today that my son had buldge on the bone behind the right ear lobe. Left side is normal but the right one is bigger. He pleyed basketball this morning and after that he has paine in the upper right shoulder and neck . I dont know if it is the reason for buldge behind ear lobe or this bukdge is something else. I really worry.
Could you please let me know.
My son is 17 yeqars old.
Posted Tue, 13 Nov 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Praveen Rodrigues 2 hours later
Hi there.
Yes this bulge does appear to be linked to some sort of inflammatory reaction (possibly the shoulder/neck issue) & appears to be a 'reactive lymph node'. These 'retro-auricular' nodes are of common occurence.
It may remain for long periods sans any issues. Do try an anti-iflammatory agent like ibuprofen 400mg three times/daily & if the inflammation subsides, my guess is the node too will reduce in size. These are normal occurences. If in 48 hrs the muscular issues dont sort out, have your local GP take a quick look. It does appear innocuous & routine! Cheers & hope have allayed your fears & given you a sense of direction to make an informed choice :)
Cheers & wish you & your son continued good health! Godspeed!
Dr Praveen Rodrigues MD