Noticed bulge in belly button after lifting weight. umbilical cord is sensitive to touch. Suggest?

I was lifting some beer kegs at work. I few days later I noticed a bulge in my belly button. It looks like my umbilical cord is starting to push out. It's sore/sensitive to the touch. I was told this could possibly be an umbilical hernia. Could this have been caused from heavy lifting?
Posted Tue, 30 Jul 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Enrique Molina 1 hour later
You are correct, this seems to be a umbilical hernia, which is caused by a defect / weakness of the abdominal wall. Weight lifting is a common cause for these hernias.
The diagnosis is made by a physical examination by a surgeon; if you feel the bulge protrudes or pushes out while you cough or lift weight, or strain, then you have a diagnosis.
This is not an emergency, and observation alone is acceptable. Surgery is needed if you have any symptoms (pain or discomfort), incarceration (this is an emergency, the pain is extreme), or for esthetic correction.
The surgical procedure is relatively simple, and best results are achieved by getting a "hernioplasty" (a mesh or plug is placed to correct the defect), and it has a chance of recurrence of about 1% after surgery. Hopefully that information helped.
Let me know if you have any further questions or concerns.
Follow-up: Noticed bulge in belly button after lifting weight. umbilical cord is sensitive to touch. Suggest? 13 minutes later
I didn't notice it right away. Can it take a while after the stress for the bulge to show?
Answered by Dr. Enrique Molina 9 hours later
Yes it can take a while to show up, however i would recommend you getting a physical exam by a doctor to confirm.