Noticed bruised lumps on inner elbow. Feeling weakness and pain in arm. Why swelling hasn't gone down?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
I have two bruised lumps on my inner right elbow. My arm is weak and there is some pain with some of my movements its been over a week since I started to notice it and the swelling hasnt gone down
Posted Mon, 8 Oct 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 3 hours later
The bruising of the elbow without any history of an injury is likely to be due to inflammation of the tendons around the area.
Most commonly it is caused by a tennis elbow or cubital tunnel syndrome.
You can help the improvement by-
1. Give adequate rest to the arm.
2. Apply cold therapy.
3. Get some anti-inflammatory medication prescribed from your orthopedician.
4. Immobilize the arm for a short period.
5. Soft tissue therapy can be used to break down adhesions that may be restricting the nerve.
6. Neural stretching exercises are helpful under the care of a physiotherapist.
Surgery might be needed in severe cases with persistent symptoms.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
Follow-up: Noticed bruised lumps on inner elbow. Feeling weakness and pain in arm. Why swelling hasn't gone down? 35 minutes later
Do you think it would be smart of me to go get it checked out by my family doctor? I seem to have most of the symptoms for cubital tunnel syndrome. I rest on my elbow during class all the time and after I took an exam last monday, I had my elbow resting on the desk and holding my head up and right after the class is when I started feeling the pain and the swelling starting happening. When trying to push and pull the doors open on my way out of the college building, I had shooting pain up my arm. I have tingling sensation in my pinky and ring finger when my elbow is bent and straightened. I always bend my arm when i'm sleeping, I rest it under my side of my face when i'm lying side ways. I have been doing stretching and applying cold packs on my swollen area and it hasn't made a difference. Would you recommend making an appointment to get a right diagnosis?
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 17 minutes later
Thanks for writing again.
It seems that your ulnar nerve is also involved. You can consult your family physician for anti inflammatory medicines and muscle relaxants. You need to give rest to your arm and use a crepe bandage around the area.
In case the swelling and pain persists, then consulting an orthopedician will be helpful for a better assessment.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.